Part-time rapper, part-time producer, full-time vodka shill and Bad Boy Records CEO Sean “Diddy” Combs has plans to launch his own music-themed cable network.
According to Broadcast and Cable magazine, the network will be called Revolt and offer music and news with an urban spin, like a classic MTV, but for an African-American audience. Comcast and Time Warner Cable are said to be in charge of Revolt's distribution, though neither has confirmed the venture.
Diddy has reportedly teamed with former MTV programming chief Andy Schuon to launch the Revolt network, with the hopes of officially debuting the channel on December 12, 2012.
Diddy has yet to comment on the venture, but told AdWeek magazine late last year that he has big plans for 2012.
“I have some major announcements at the top of the year on things I’m producing—an announcement that's bigger than anyone can realize on something I’m acquiring,” he said.
He added that he plans to transition out of music this year to focus on his movie and producing careers. In other news, evidently Diddy was doing music again for a little while there.
In late 2011, Bad Boy signed French Montana and MTV's Hottest Breakthrough MC winner Machine Gun Kelly, and Brooklyn MC Red Café is expected to deliver his debut Shakedown in the coming months.
There has also been a good deal of speculation recently around the idea that Bad Boy abandons its artists without a full sail of support. Diddy addressed the criticism in a radio interview with DJ Whoo Kid earlier this month: "Over the last couple of years, there's been a strong propaganda movement that's been brewing in the negative sense against Bad Boy, against what it is to sign to the Bad Boy label, if it's a detriment to your career," he said. "Just hate. Just regular hate and also a lot of people not understanding how this industry works. … This is not a PG-rated industry. If you're weak, you'll be eaten alive."