Carlton Miss Their Stars Against GWS- AFL

A lazy first half saw the Blues almost fall to GWS.

Robert Whiteby Robert White

It took them half a game to get their act together, but the Carlton Blues eventually found their form to smash Greater Western Sydney with a nine goal to one second half in Round 6 of the AFL season, winning 110-43.

The Blues peppered the goals in the first quarter but failed to make a significant mark on the scoreboard. Despite having plenty more scoring opportunities, Carlton never made it clear they were overly better than GWS, who were impressive with their disposal, run and composure, at least before they got inside 50.

Carlton looked to blow the game open early with quick goals to Walker, Simpson (playing his 150th consecutive game) and Lucas, but the visitors looked dangerous and threatened to answer; and that they did. When Kreuzer and Thornton failed to capitalize on scoring opportunities Liam Sumner marked and goaled for GWS’ first.

A couple more Carlton misses to Jamison and Armfield hurt, especially when O’hAilphin was able to mark seconds before the siren and goal after it to leave the quarter time score at 23-13.

GWS looked to come storming back to start the second. O’hAilphin inside torped a goal from nothing and Scully made the Blues pay for another couple of misses after he corralled a mark in a one on one footrace into the 50, tying the score.

The quality of the GWS play dropped off, especially their disposal, and the Blues responded with a pair of quick goals via Thornton and Lucas. After a mild scoring drought they increased the lead to 16 when a Shiel turnover in the middle allowed Bower a couple of bounces and a running goal from 50.

Phil Davis snapped a late goal from the pocket with three minutes left in the quarter, reducing the Blues lead to 11 at the major change.

Carlton seized control in what was a pretty uneventful third term when they were given a number of easy goals. Hampson marked easily inside 50, clear by meters from the next opponent, and kicked a goal before Robinson was able to add another. Another to Davis kept GWS in touch but the errors of an inexperienced playing group were continuously evident. Thornton kicked a final goal with less than ten seconds left on the clock and the Blues marched into the final break with a 25-point lead.

Down to just two men on the bench, GWS could no longer compete with the Blues, who turned around their lackluster play to blow out the fourth quarter.

Majors to Thornton, Simpson and two to Hampson, the second a turnaround effort from 50 meters, extended the lead to 52 and Carlton finished the game with a 15.20.110-6.7.43 win.

Hampson and Thornton kicked three apiece for the Blues while Walker, Simpson and Lucas all booted multiples. Mitch Robinson led with 28 disposals while Marc Murphy had 27, but but at just 48 percent efficiency after being tagged brilliantly by James McDonald all game. Simpson with 25 may have been the Blues best.

Greene and McDonald were among GWS’ best and Tim Mohr played a great game in defense.