AFL Crows Continue To Rise, Trim Saints

Adelaide hold off St Kilda by four points.

Robert Whiteby Robert White

The Adelaide Crows moved into the second spot on the premiership table after defeating the Saints at home..

They held on to win by four points against St Kilda on Friday night at AAMI Stadium, winning 17.13.115-16.15.111, but the final score probably wasn’t an accurate indication of well, or how poor, each side played. Adelaide were brilliant throughout while St Kilda were genuinely average and a step behind for much of the contest, but a late fadeout by the Crows saw the Saints almost steal the win. The Crows now move percentage points above Collingwood into second place on the premiership ladder, ten percentage points behind league leading West Coast.

Scott Thompson played a near perfect game. He tallied 39 disposals and kicked a well-deserved goal while dominating the ball around the stoppages. Patrick Dangerfield was an excitement machine with 28 possessions and Kurt Tippett was lethal early, kicking five goals for the game.

It was all Tippett in the first quarter. He kicked three goals as in the term and took a huge hanger on the back of Justin Koschitzke, helping the Crows to a 33-19 quarter-time lead. He missed an early set shot but regained his composure to boot all of his goals in the quarter in the same style while Walker and Mackay added a couple more.

Porplyzia stole the spotlight in the second by kicking three consecutive goals in the first eight minutes, but Dal Santo and Montagna were able to nail a pair of much needed goal for the Saints. Siposs brought them within ten points with a booming goal from beyond 50, but they gave up a shocker when Callinan passed on a set shot from just 20 meters out to an unmarked and open Wright running in the direction of the goal square. Callinan proved his worth with a nice looking goal from a tight angle just seconds after before Schneider split a fantastic outside of the boot banana effort by Walker with two goals that kept the Saints just in it at the half.

The third quarter began in much the same way as the first with Tippett marking a goaling as the Crows looked to put the game away with a five goal to two quarter. Callinan produced a ridiculous effort from the pocket boundary line and Wright and Thompson added majors that gave Adelaide a 31-point advantage heading into the final term.

But St Kilda refused to die. Walker missed a couple of gettable set shots and as a result the Crows were made to pay the price. Dal Santo and Riewoldt brought them to with 21 with a good 15 minutes remaining but Milne blew a chance by missing a sitter right after the Riewoldt goal. Tippett went on to boot number five, but late goals to Siposs and Milne set up an improbable ending. The lead was at 16 with three and a half minutes remaining before Milne kicked another. Unfortunately it was the old case of too little, too late and a goal after the siren by Montagna made no difference to the end result.

Dal Santo was fantastic for the visitors but below average performances from the likes of Riewoldt, Goddard and Koschitzke hurt. St Kilda missed a heap of opportunities in front of goal that could have won them the game, but they remain in the eight for now but have Fremantle, Richmond and Carlton biting at their heels.