When we talked to Ron Perlman last year, we of course asked about the possibility of a third Hellboy movie. He said he was "up for it," but expressed concerns that Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim would take as much as 2-3 years to complete, and that by that time, since Perlman would be in his mid-60s, he might have difficulty carrying an action franchise. Our hopes were effectively dashed… until today, when both Guillermo del Toro and Ron Perlman confirmed that they are trying to get a third, presumably final Hellboy movie into production.
In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Guillermo del Toro stated, "I can say publicly that now we are together in trying [to do Hellboy 3]." Perlman later said, "To not do it, particularly in light of the scope that Guillermo is thinking of for the resolve, would be in my mind a little bit of a shame."
Mike Mignola's Hellboy, who originated in a Dark Horse comic book series, is a character close to del Toro's heart but the motion pictures based on the character, Hellboy and Hellboy II: The Golden Army, were at best mild box office successes, with neither film breaking even domestically and only somewhat surpassing their production budgets worldwide. Both films were solidly entertaining, however, so we hope that Guillermo del Toro will be able to put the production together, even though he will mostly likely not have time to start production until after the release of Pacific Rim on July 12, 2013. And even then, Hellboy 3 will have to compete with del Toro's many other projects in development, including Beauty and Beast and Pinocchio. So maybe we should all take this announcement with a small grain of salt.
CraveOnline will return with more Hellboy 3 news after we send Myers to Alaska.